If you’re a fan of delicious creamy caramel, and you want to create such delightful goodness for yourself, you’re going to need the right tool for the job, and in this case, the right device is a saucepan.
The perfect caramel sauce requires the ideal saucepan, and as the temperature drops, there’s no better treat to warm yourself, your family and your friends than a rich caramel sauce. You can dribble it on a freshly picked apple or make it into solid candies.
Quick Comparison Table: Best Pan and Pot for Making Caramel
What to Consider When Picking a Saucepan
Making a caramel sauce is a delicate process, and as previously mentioned, you need the right tools. Without the proper saucepan for the cooking and caramelizing processes, there’s a good chance your caramel sauce won’t come out the way you want it.
So if you’re thinking of getting a saucepan, here are a few things to consider:
Size and Depth: Pan or Pot or Saucepan?
There’s a lot of debate and discussions online about the best pan/pot for making caramel. On one side of the fence, you have those who believe regular flat pans are just fine for the job while others say to get the best results you need a narrow, pot-like container.
This is mostly true because caramel tends to bubble while getting heated up, and the tall walls serve as protection. Without that protection, you’ll find a sweet, sticky mess on your stove and counters. This is why saucepans are best for making caramel.
Another essential element you need to take into consideration when shopping for a saucepan is the heat conduction of the pan. You want to get a saucepan capable of holding heat as well as distributing it evenly through the ingredients.
That way you get a smooth sauce. Stainless steel saucepans is an example of a pan with excellent heat conduction.
Some cooks usually express frustration with stainless steel because of how long it takes to heat up initially. However, it can save you a lot in the long run.
Aluminum is another material with excellent heat conduction, but it heats up too quickly rendering it a poor choice for making caramel. Too much heat and your caramel sauce can burn up and leave you with an inedible mess.
Regular vs. Non-Stick
Another topic that causes a lot of debate is the “nonstick versus regular” saucepan debate. If you’re planning to use the saucepan for making only caramel, then it doesn’t matter which one you go for.
Some people say the coating on the non-stick pan will mix in with the caramel sauce. But this only happens when the coating breaks down (usually after a lot of repeated uses). The moment the coating starts to break, it’s time to get a new one.
The good thing about a nonstick saucepan is that it makes pouring out the caramel easier once it is ready.
If you’re thinking of cleaning, sure it’ll be slightly easier to clean a nonstick pan, but again it doesn’t matter. Caramel is crystallized sugar so soaking the pan in warm water will allow you clean your pan (regular or nonstick) very quickly.
Top Three Saucepans for Making Caramel
1. Scanpan Classic 1.25-Quart Covered Saucepan
- Nonstick cookware that browns, braises, sears and deglazes.
- Nonstick cookware that cooks with little or no oil. Safe, PFOA-free, and sustainable.
- Nonstick cookware that is dishwasher and metal-utensil safe.
- Oven-safe up to 500°F for stovetop to oven techniques
- Artisan-made in Denmark with a limited lifetime .
This classic covered nonstick saucepan is capable of searing, browning and deglazing with ease, and best of all, you don’t have to worry about cleaning. The pan was created in Denmark to be dishwasher safe and free from PFOA.
The body is made from squeeze-cast aluminum to give optimum heat distribution and ensure that your caramel sauce comes at perfect always. The Patented non-stick coating is both scratch resistant and harder than stainless times by a factor of 10.
The scanpan saucepan is both stove top and oven safe and can handle temperatures up to 260 C/ 500 F. because of its capacity (2-quart), you can rest assured that all the bubbling sugar will be contained in the pan
You don’t have to worry that you’ll leave a mess on your stove top anytime you decide to make some caramel
2. Cuisinart MultiClad Pro 3-Quart Saucepan
- Updated cast-stainless-steel handle stays cool to the touch and comes riveted for strength
- 3-quart saucepan made of 18/10 stainless steel with solid aluminum core
- Rims are tapered for drip-free pouring
- Dishwasher-safe; oven-safe up to 550 degrees F; broiler-safe
- Limited lifetime warranty Features: Professional Triple Ply Construction features a core of pure aluminum|Brushed stainless exterior|Heat SurroundTM Technology allows for even heat distribution along the bottom and sidewalls of the cookware|Cool GripTM Handle Solid stainless steel riveted handle stays cool on the stovetop|Drip-Free Pouring Rim|Tightfitting cover seals in moisture and nutrients for healthier more flavorful results every time you cook|Dishwasher Safe|Lifetime warranty|Suitable for use with induction cook tops
This is 3-quart saucepan, also came in 2- quart, that is perfect for making caramel. It is made using 18/10 stainless steel and a solid aluminum core.
The handle –which has been riveted for strength – is made from updated-cast-stainless steel making it safe to handle after cooking.
The rims have been tapered to prevent dripping while you’re pouring your sauce out of the saucepan. It is dishwasher, grill, and oven safe, and can withstand temperatures of up to 550 degree F.
3. Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Saucepan
- Straining Lid and Pour Spout on Rim for Easy Draining
- 18/10 Mirror-Finish Stainless Steel Interior and Exterior
- Cool Grip Handle
- Aluminum Encapsulated Base for Optimal Heating
- Dishwasher Safe for Effortless Cleaning
This is another product from Cuisinart. It comes with a pour spout rim (that makes draining more manageable) and a straining lid. Both the interior and the exterior are made from 18/10 mirror-finish stainless steel.
With the cool grip handle and an encapsulated aluminum base for heating, this saucepan is an excellent choice for making caramel sauce. It is dishwasher safe making cleaning an effortless task.
By now you know the features to look out for when buying a saucepan, and you’ve seen three of the best pans in the market, it’s time to decide which one is worth going home with.
Each of the saucepan all has the same capacity and share the same features, so the decision comes down to which one would last the longest and that prize goes to the Scanpan saucepan.
With its squeeze-cast aluminum body, and patented nonstick coating, the Scanpan classic 2-quart covered saucepan Scanpan classic 2-quart covered saucepan is sure to outlast and outperform the other pans listed in this article.
So now that you know the right tool to purchase, all that’s left is for you to start making your delicious caramel treats.